Thursday, January 29, 2009

It starts... again

Last weekend was my first long run in the game again. When I started to taper during my Portland marathon I was pretty bummed that I didn't really practice my pacing. I would just go for it and try to keep my run as even as possible.

The first few miles almost always suck. I can't really understand only running 3 miles at a time. I maintain that running doesn't get fun until you're hitting mile 4. I would usually hit my stride around then and all went well until about mile 15. Anything after 15 miles was a free-for-all.

On Saturday I did 10 miles on West Seattle, and I worked to maintain a 10:30 pace. I fininshed in an hour and 46 minutes. I had to push pretty hard especially on the hill in the middle of the run. As a consequence I never really hit a point where it got easy.

I think next week I'm going to try starting slow, you know, like they say you should... and see how that affects my pace.

----------------------------------------------------
My biggest takeway from my run this week is that I realized how grateful I am that I've been able to experience Seattle on foot. It's given me the opportunity to see parts of the city I wouldn't have otherwise. My West Seattle course starts on Alki with a beautiful view of the downtown skyline. I run along the water and by giant cool houses and cute quaint ones with the view of the islands.

Then you enter Lincoln Park with paths and and trees. Early in the morning it's foggy and feels like you could be somewhere else in northeast maybe :)

Anyway, I need to remember this when my alarm goes off at 4:45 in the morning and I walk over, set it for an hour later, and get back into bed....

I can't wait until we have some sunlight in the mornings again! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how different the world is on foot? I think I know more about the goings-on of my "neighborhood" (um... anything within 15 miles of my house, LOL) than most people that live here and, on certain streets where I'm sure no one else has EVER gotten out of their car, far more than the police. (One of my walking friends used to be tracked down by the police and given APBs to look for.)

Runner Leana said...

I hear ya, you and me both on daylight in the early mornings! Good luck with your training. I'm going to be in your neck of the woods in August, so maybe we can do some kind of blogger meet up!