Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My body is falling apart... sort of

Last night one of my toe nails popped off...

I guess that makes me an official runner!

hahaha :) No, but I've known I was going to lose two of my toe nails, the other one still looks like it's ready to go at any time. If toes had the same names as their corresponding finger, I would be talking about my pointer toes. (Second in from the big toe) But in the world of toes, those ones would probably be ring toes, that's where I always wore my toe rings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I finally made it to the doctor to check out my gall bladder. My doc was already talking surgery before he even sent me to get my ultrasound. Which freaked me out. On my health history I had checked off weight loss, so he asked me about it. When I told him I had lost 86 pounds his immediate response was, "On purpose?!"

Who accidentally loses 86 pounds, really? I could see 5, 10, 15, maybe 20... but 86? It takes a lot a freaking hard work to lose 86!

Anyway, I think he could have handled that situation a little better. I didn't really dig him from the start. He had on a gold chain and some of his chest hair was poking out of his scrubs. He totally struck me as the kind of guy that would have been a lot nicer if I had blonde hair and fake boobs.

But who does this guy think he is? He does colonoscopies for a living?

Meh, now I'm just being mean. Needless to say, I'll be looking for a new gastroendenologist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had an ultrasound on Wednesday and I got to see my stones on the monitor... they're going to be soccer players!

I have two small stones, and apparently the small ones are the more painful ones. I asked my ultrasound technician if my stones and me can have a peaceful coexistence; one where I don't feed them anything that makes them angry, and inturn they don't make feel so sick I want to die.

She said it is possible. My gallbladder is not infected, so it doesn't have to come out.

There's a little ray of hope! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Normally I don't think I know more than doctors. In fact, I know I don't know more than doctors. But I really don't want to have surgery if I don't have to. If they remove my entire gallbladder it'll mean an overnight stay in the hospital (something I've never had to do), and at least a month before I can return to any form of strenuous exercising.

Even though the pain is pretty bad I know I can control it through diet. And I know I can get through it for at least the next two months.

I'm pretty much refusing to let surgery get in the way of my training for the portland marathon. I've worked too hard and I just want to make it to Portland so that I can take a break afterward. A real one.

In the mean time, my mom is researching my holistic medicine options, and I'll be avoiding Cheez-its, french fries, and excessive amounts of dairy. We can get through this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though it seems like my body is falling apart, the rest of me is incredibly healthy! Blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, my insides... all in terrific shape! The guy who took my blood pressure was surprised at how "normal" it was. He asked me if it's always that low...

I dunno? I guess so, right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That concludes this health update :) Hope everyone else is feeling as healthy and vibrant as possible!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I didn't really dig him from the start. He had on a gold chain and some of his chest hair was poking out of his scrubs." That was too funny. Really. So your speculations were right!? Gallstones, huh? Not fun. Well, good luck and keep us posted. Oh and call that jerk back and tell him it's 88.8lbs not 86! ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all, find yourself a new GI. Never trust a doc with visible chest hair. That's just not sanitary! Oh, and with the weight loss question, all GIs as if it was intentional. I've gotten the same question from a lot of GIs and lord knows I've seen plenty of them, especially this past year. I think it's just because unintentional weight loss is an indicator of so many health problems. Anyway, I'm sorry about your gall bladder. As long as they can remove it endoscopically, it's really not too bad of a recovery time. Put it off if you can but if the doc says they need to yank it, do it. You'll be really happy when it's all said and done and you don't ever have to anticipate any more excruciating pain. Oh, and my father-in-law is a GI (the kind who doesn't show off his chest hair) so if you have any questions about anything, I would be happy to ask him for you.

Deborah said...

Dr. Craig Pepin at the Polyclinic (gastroenterologist) is awesome and very compassionate. I've seen him several times. Highly recommended.

wac said...

haha, thanks Brandi! It's 90 now! Crazy, right?

Gina, I may have some questions to send your way!

Deb, I'm going to check to see if your doc is covered by my insurance!

Thanks, Ladies! :)

Anonymous said...

Eventually you probably will have to have it out. When I had mine out I tried controlling it by diet and it came to a point when I had an attack and didn't know what caused it.It was the best thing I ever did even though when I had mine out they still did the big surgery and I was in the hospital for a week and have a 6 inch scar. Still the pain of an attack was worse than childbirth so I was glad to get rid of it. Good luck.