Monday, April 21, 2008

This one goes to 11!

Initially Jonna told us we would be running over 10 miles, closer to 11. So in my mind, that meant we were running 11. But Jonna couldn't make it, so Christi lead our run. She wanted to stick to the original route, which was little over 9.

I ran 11 anyway...

because I got lost :) Saturday morning I posted the route we were supposed to run, here is the route I actually ran:




And here's the break down:

Mile 1-3:
Chris and I started before the group since I was in a time crunch. So we headed down the Burke Gilman. It was a lovely run through Canal park, then we got to the armpit of Ballard, Shilshole. Don't get me wrong, I know you need industrial boating sections of town, but it's not my favorite back drop to run against...

Mile 4:
We've just ran across the Ballard Locks, and I like it! It's refreshing to run through the loud water and light spray...

then Christi points to the hill we need to go up... grumble grumble... We (well, I trudge, the other gals don't seem as affected) up the foot bridge and up the street until we finally get to flat land again. The only comforting thought right now is that this will be downhill on the way back!

Then we enter Discovery Park... and have another hill to climb! I'm feeling kind of beat at this point. I'm definitely excited to stop and walk and look at our maps to make sure we're headed the right way.

Mile 5:
We're running again. Luckily, Chris got us to start up again otherwise who knows how long I would have walked! We get to the top of the hill and pass the cementary, which means we're headed in the right direction! Kristen takes off (she's much faster anyway), but a few minutes later we realize she went the wrong way!

But, there's not much we can do about it...

So we get to (FINALLY) run downhill. Part of it is on the street, the other part is on a trail. I'm starting to feel the effects of our shot blocks we took at mile 3. I'm ready to fly down the hill.

Unfortunately, running downhill was not so kind to Chris' knee. So she needed to slow down.

If this had been any other Saturday, I would have stayed with her. Unfortunately, I had to be back at my truck no later than 10:30, so I had to keep going. She does her best to give me directions and I vaguely know where we are anyway, so I take off.

Mile 6:
I've come to a dead end. I saw a parking lot that I recognized and rather than leaving the park, I followed my gut and went down this other windy road. It was a beautiful run through nature and on an open empty road. I could get used to this! I made it to the Native American Cultural Center. I ran all the way to the edge and looked out at the water for a second. Despite being a gray-ish cold day, it really was perfect for this kind of run!

OK, no dilly-dallying, time to get back to the task at hand. I head back out to the road. I see Chris coming about 200 yards up the way and I start motioning her to go back. The last thing she needs is to be on that knee any longer than she has to! I'm actually able to sprint to catch back up to her. Once I do, I stop to walk and eat my goo and have some water.

Just as I finish we meet back up with some other gals from the team, and get directions to Commodore way. And it's downhill again!

We get back to the Locks, and Christina needs to find I restroom so I continue on by myself.

Mile 7:
I'm running down the railroad tracks because I think it will save me time... but there's two dudes walking down the tracks and I figure this isn't the ideal running condition, so I head back up to market street.

The rain is slushy in blowing right into my face. I go to wipe my forehead and realize my entire head is sopping wet. I try to wring out as much as I can.

Mile 8:
I give Matt a call, why not? I'm running by myself, he's on the way to work... It was actually kind of nice. I think that's how I'll be able to pass the time when I do long runs by myself :)

I can tell that I'm slowing, but I know that once I get to the Ballard Bridge, I'll only have two miles to go.

Mile 9:
My iPod stopped working a few months back and rather than getting it fixed I've started getting used to running without music. In a way, I feel like I can listen to my body. And there's something almost soothing in listening to your own breathing. I'm starting to notice the rhythm... breath... step step step breath... step step step breath... step step step

I've definitely settled into a slow but steady pace. Now if I can just keep this up for 20 more minutes I'll be OK.

Mile 10:
A woman in a Seattle Marathon shirt approaches from behind me. I'm surprised she actually returns my smile. (You never know with runners in this city)

"Nice day for a long run!" she says.
"Yeah, it's just right!"
"How long you doing today?"
"I'm doing 11, " I say, realizing I'm slower than dirt right now, so I add, "about a mile and half to go!"

She tells me I'm doing great and I wish her luck then she disappears off into the distance...

What I wouldn't give to be able to run that fast right this second!

I've reached a point where my running isn't going as smoothly as I would like. I start digging in my pack for some sort of energy enhancer. My legs are so heavy! And with each step the pain increases in my left quad and right inner thigh. My calves are tight like rocks and my feet feel like they are starting to blister.

15 more minutes, Wac...

I'm starting to notice how irregular my breathing is. Instead of the nice even rhythm I heard earlier, it was more like: breath... step scuff scuff breath breath scuff breath step

I've been running along the right side of the path, and I'll move over into the center to accommodate the walkers. This older woman (and her husband and dog) are walking along the right side, so I move into the center to pass them, and cyclists come on my left passing me.

The woman says, "I think they want you to be on the other side."

I'm sure she was trying to be nice, but at that point in my run that was the last thing I needed. I waited a few seconds (until she was out of site) flipped her off and said, "well, I want YOU to be on the other side."

Here's the thing, runners can go in the bike lanes on Burke-Gilman because walkers go in the pedestrian lanes! Sure, cyclists and runners are at odds sometimes, but the bike lanes are huge! Wide enough for a couple of runners and bikers going each way. The pedestrian lane is usually two people wide at very best.

I digress...

Gasworks park is finally in my line of sight. I start to use whatever energy I have left after getting pissed at that lady to pick up speed. I'm pushing as hard as I can to get back to my car as quickly as possible. My heart is pumping so hard feels like it could jump out of my chest. I dart across the street, run into the parking lot, and tap my truck as I come to a halt.

DONE!
And I couldn't be more excited. I walk over to Christi and we chat for a sec before I have to schlump into the truck. Wow... I can barely walk... I wonder how that will feel during my 10K tomorrow... Good thing I have a nice long car ride to rest these legs!...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are my inspiration...
~brandi