Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ugh!

Man... when did running get hard all of a sudden?

Our first mile was through Genesse Park. I took a goo shot at the beginning of the run...

not my favorite. I think there's something about the consistency of goo when you're participating in a physical activity.

Mile 2:
I was running with a couple other girls, and it seemed like we were running pretty fast for me... but I was able to keep up. Running along Lake Washington Blvd, was awesome. The houses are beautiful and you're right on the water.

Mile 3:
We arrived at Seward Park, also beautiful. We stay on the path around the outside of the park along the water. I'm starting to feel the urge to slow down, but we're running together in a group of 3 and I feel the pressure to maintain the pace.

Mile 4:
We take a shot block and I'm hoping it will kick in ASAP, because I feel myself kind of lagging. Christi comes to run with us and I feel myself falling back, but trying to keep up.

Mile 5:
I ask how far we've come at 5.6 miles and knowing that we have about one and a half miles left both brings some comfort and some pain. I'm definitely ready to slow down, but I know there's 15 more minutes, max! One of the gals picks up her pace and moves forward. I also picked up my pace, hoping that the end of the run will come sooner than I run out of mustard... no luck...

Mile 6:
I slow down again, and Chris and I finish the final mile together. It's definitely better to be running with someone. If I talk I don't pay as much attention to what I'm doing. We finally see the other gals stretching and Chris and I pick up our pace. I'm really greatful she was there to push me when I was ready to stop.

Finished!
It couldn't have come any sooner! That was one of the harder runs for me. Chris said we did closer to 7 and a half miles. We were stretching for a few minutes and I saw Deb coming down to do her 8 mile run on the same course. I was actually able to jog over to her and run with her for a bit!

I think if I had stopped for a few seconds, that last mile (or two) wouldn't have been so hard. I came to a realization: I need to stop viewing the Saturday runs as tests and more like homework, like the weekday workouts.

Obviously, I want to do well on the Saturday runs, but I also shouldn't be afraid to try things. Yesterday I ran the whole way because the group I was running with did. I need to stop for a second around the halfway point, then I'll have more energy to finish out strong.

Even though I can see definite improvements in my running abilities, I don't feel like I'm progressing as much as the other gals in the group. I know we'll all get there at our own pace, but I'm really wanting a run that I can totally nail...

I guess I'll just push as hard as I can on my weekday workouts and hope for the best next Saturday!


No comments: